Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23


Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spring Breaking - April 2013

Well, apparently this whole blogging thing is not high on the priority list.  Can you tell?  My last post was March 8th.  One must prioritize you know. And with our busy life, unfortunately, blogging is not at the top for me.  In fact, if I were to actually make a list of priorities, it would probably fall somewhere around keeping my flowers alive and learning to crochet.  I was just telling my mother-in-law the other day I wish I had the time to have a Southern Living-esque yard like hers but... tis the time of life for me to be growing up two little girls not so much flowers.  My flower beds, learning to crochet and becoming a blog queen can wait.  What about all those moms that have blogs and still manage to homeschool their kids, have great-looking yards, make water from scratch, etcetera you ask?  Good for them.  They must have a machine that makes extra time or something.  (That's actually a great idea....I will put that on my list of priorities somewhere around spelunking and training my cat to use the toilet.)

Anyway, I have decided to update the blog monthly.  I think it would be best.  This homeschool journal IS very important to me.  I want these girls to be able to look back on our journey someday.  (I think they will also appreciate having less journal entries to read if I update monthly instead of weekly.)  So having given you too much information about my decision to update monthly......here is what we have been up to as of late. 

We have actually taken a bit of an extended Spring break.  We recently visited the local homeschool co-op (that we will join next school year) where I was able to pick the brains of several seasoned homeschool moms.  One burning question I have had was to school during the summer or not.  A lot of moms there said that they like to school during the summer months because it is too hot to go outside and do anything anyways.  They like to take extended breaks during the Spring and Fall when there is really nice weather.  More time to play and explore outside.  :)  This sounds like a win-win idea to me.  My girls LOVE to play outside AND this will keep them from getting really bored during the summer months when temperatures outside exceed those of the SUN!  We will try it out and see.  Here are some pictures of our recent Spring time fun.  Enjoy!

 
The little school girl in her ballet recital costume.  Her first ever ballet recital is fast approaching!!

 
My little monkey conquering the rock wall at the park. 

 
Princess camp!  This was a lot of fun.  And they actually learned a thing or two about manners.  Not that they stuck very well....oh well. 

 
My little princess :)

 
Fish tank jewels in the sand box = hours of treasure-digging pirate fun!!

 
Little sis hoarding all the pirate treasure

 
Easter :)

 
Admiring Beba's flowers

 
Planting a Princess flower garden (Check out that Ariel tat...fake of course.)

 
We found this kit at Walmart in the gardening section.  She loves it!!  And it actually came with some educational material about the flowers' growth and a chart to track their progress.  Cute!

 
She did it all by herself :)

 
Finished.  The seeds are already growing too! 

 
We are going the participate in the local Kid's Farmer's Market this summer.  Here are some pictures of our little school girl planting some cherry tomato plants to sell.  Selling at the Farmer's Market will be a brand new experience for both of us.  I thought it would be a great way to introduce counting money.  Other areas I feel this will help: exploring God's creation, saving money, talking to adults (she tends to be a little shy) and of course gardening. 

 
All done...now to keep them alive.  (Going to have to move "keeping plants alive" up a little on that lengthy list of priorities.)
 
 
Thanks for checking in!  Hope you all are having a great Spring.  I know we are. :)
 
Katie

1 comment:

  1. Too cute Katie! Blogging has fallen on my list of priorities too. And the whole keeping plants alive thing... at least you actually got them planted. I have a huge dirt bed out back where I dug up the garden but haven't planted anything yet! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete