Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23


Monday, October 8, 2012

Week Three: Catching up a bit

 Did you think after my last "Eeyore" like post that I had given up?  No.  We have had a very busy month! We have had something to do every weekend for the past three weeks.  Parties, showers, and unfortunately even a funeral.  While we have had a lot of fun spending time with family and friends, I have let our homeschooling blog fall to the wayside.  Our schooling is going great!  I feel like we are finally getting into our routine and I am confident we will have this thing all figured out for next year.

I am actually two weeks behind with our journal.  So the next two posts will be mostly pictures of what we have been up to.  Weeks one and two have been review weeks in the K4 curriculum.  Week one being an alphabet review and week two being a 1-20 number review.  Starting in week three, we are now learning beginning reading, writing and math.  As usual I am adding in some science, geography, social studies, Bible, music, Spanish and some fun physical education activities.

I am surprised to find out that my little school girl is already taking off in some areas and trudging through others (while making me suffer along the way).  She is picking up reading and math really well but we are both suffering through handwriting.  She is such a perfectionist.  She gets really mad at things like the toe line in her sock being off and putting her all princesses in a specific order then having her little sister knock them all down.  She even knows what the word perfect means and uses it all the time.  Is this even typical for a four year old?  I don't know.  When she is tracing the letter A or the number 1 she gets so frustrated that she can't make it look just like the one already on the paper.  After reading a few experiences from other moms in this area, I have since taken away her dry eraser (that she obsessively uses).  I don't want her to try to be perfect at everything.  I just want her to try and do her best.  I am learning to be more calm too.  I have learned that if I just sit back and watch without interfering she actually does try her best.  Like I said, we are still figuring out a few things.

Here are some pictures from week three of our homeschooling journey.  And a few extras from all the fun stuff we have done this past couple of weeks just for fun.

Katie

Indoor crab soccer...this was hilarious!

We studied China this week.  We read a book called "The Story of Chopsticks," made Chinese food and tried using chopsticks.  This too was pretty funny.  


She actually did really well!

The dreaded handwriting I referred to above.  

Number puzzle

Playing red light/green light.

Green light!

Fun birthday party at the lake!

Silly cousins




My sweet girls having fun at the lake!  

Haunted hay ride!

The circus.  This was the best picture I could get.  They would not turn around for one second for a picture.

Swinging at our Meme's house.  I have some great memories of swinging here.  :)

Climbing trees with cousins at Meme's house.  This was actually the first time she has ever climbed a tree.  She loved it!  I also have many memories climbing this same pecan tree when I was a little girl.  :)





1 comment: