Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23


Thursday, October 25, 2012

Catching up....again.

I love this time of year but WOW, it is SO busy!  Birthday parties, holiday parties, races, etc.  Unfortunately this "blogging" thing has fallen to the wayside a bit.  Homeschooling has been trucking along though so this will be just a "catching up" kind of post.  This is what we have been up to!  Plus a few fun extras of course.  It is the holidays you know.  ;)


We started a science journal after seeing this post at the Kindergarten.....Kindergarten blog.  You can also get the cute printable label here. She loves drawing what she observes in her new journal as we do all our science activities.


Here are a few science activities we have done so far with our new science journal:

Using our new R2D2 microscope to observe "things" from the Star Wars universe.  I found this on sale at Toys-R-Us. She loved it!


Using a magnifying glass.  We observed many things with a magnifying glass and she drew them in her science journal.  

Little sister's tongue and eyes

This got a little silly.  It was too funny though!  

Our fingerprints

Things we found outside

These were all the things she observed with her magnifying glass.  She drew them and I labeled.  I think the big blue circles were her sister's "googly" eyes (as she called them).  


We also practice some Spanish everyday.  Nothing too in depth.  We found these Dora "Say it Two Ways" cards on Nick Jr.  We learn a new animal every week and go over our numbers (1-10 right now).  



We worked on our gross motor skills with some new games like dancing the Tooty-Ta dance, and picking up things with our toes.  Both SO funny and fun!  I think everyone that has a toddler has heard of the Tooty-Ta dance.  But if you haven't and you are interested in checking it out, see this Youtube video.  


Here is my little school girl and her little sis picking up mini pom-poms with their toes.  Well, at least my little school girl is doing it right.  Little sis gave up and just used her fingers...ha!  We also incorporated colors and counting with this game.  "Can you pick up all the purple pom-poms?  Green?"  "Let's count how many we can pick up before we fall down!"  You try balancing while picking up those tiny little things AND putting them in a container.  It's hard!  ;)



We also talked about time one week and how we use many different ways to keep time.  We read several books, sang songs about the days of the week and months of the year.  We even read "The Hungry Caterpillar" and did a "days of the week" craft.  

We colored little pictures of food the caterpillar ate on each day of the week and made a chain.  



We continued to study countries in Asia.  Here are some pictures from our India and Israel studies.  

Mehndi art project from India using a brown, washable marker

All dressed up and ready to dance some Bollywood!


We made and Indian inspired dinner that consisted of Turmeric Chicken over Basmati rice, Naan, Sweet and Salty Limeade with Passion fruit juice, and "Magic" Chocolate Sauce with Garam Masala and Ginger over vanilla ice cream.  I thought all of it was yummy.  The girls pretty much only ate the Naan and the ice cream with "magic" shell chocolate sauce.  :/  Oh, well.  

Here we are enjoying our Indian inspired meal.  

This is what my little school girl thought of the Sweet and Salty Limeade.  She hated it.  I thought it tasted like the best Gatorade EVER!  

The magic chocolate shell sauce was a big hit.  It was a homemade chocolate sauce made with coconut oil and some Indian spices.  It solidified when drizzled over the cold ice cream.  VERY yummy and fun.  :)  This is a picture of my little school girl poking it.  She thought it was so cool.  (Also an opportunity to throw in a mini science lesson about heat and the states of matter!)  

Here is little sis. She didn't care about India or science.  She just chowed down!

We also had a yummy Israel inspired meal another week.  We had a very busy day that day.  It was just one of those days where I flew in the door, threw down my purse and cooked supper.  I remembered to take pictures when I got to the dessert.....oh, well.  It was yummy though.  We had a Chicken and Israeli Couscous with Lemon and Tomato dish (no picture...sorry) and made some quick and easy Rugelach, a traditional Israeli pastry.   

A picture of the Rugelach before I rolled them up.  Traditionally, it is made with a homemade pastry dough.  I used a roll-out pie crust....like I said it was one of those impossibly busy days.  You can make pretty much any type of filling.  I just used what I had which was walnuts, brown sugar, butter, and chocolate chips.  It was so easy.  Roll out the crust, cut it into twelve "slices," throw on toppings, roll them up like a crescent rolls and bake.

Here they are all done and sprinkled with powdered sugar.  They were SO yummy.  Other fillings I saw when researching were, apple, raisin and brown sugar, apricot.  The possibilities are endless I guess.  



And finally, another important even that happened was our goldfish, Nemo II, getting a brand new home.   Don't ask about Nemo I!  God rest his fishy little...ummmm...soul.   I really don't know how I got into the goldfish business but I am not terribly happy about it.  I didn't realize goldfish were so dirty!  He started out in a bowl but I was cleaning that thing out almost every other day.  So, we upgraded to a tank (which I already had from when I taught public school).  The little school girl is happy and so is Nemo.  So I guess that is what counts.  :)

Nemo's new home...with Pirate Dora and Boots

By the way, my little school girl commented on how lonely Nemo was in that big, brand new tank (as she called it).  So, I guess Nemo will be getting a few friends soon.  She is right though.  He does look kind of lonely.  I guess I do like the gross little fish....some.  


Thanks for tuning in to our homeschooling update!  If you want any details about any of the activities, just let me know.  I would be happy to pass along any ideas.  And, I will leave you with a hilarious picture of the girls all dressed up in their Halloween costumes. ;)

Little sis did NOT want to take this pic!  But isn't she a cute little angry Pooh Bear.  :)  


Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment