Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23


Friday, August 8, 2014

Getting ready for another year!

It has been a while (since February) since I have updated the blog.  This is mainly due to the following:

  1. An epic flooding of our entire house in early February due to a busted pipe that completely threw our house into total mayhem for a couple of months.  (I will not go into the details because I just don't want to rehash some really bad memories.  It was truly traumatizing for someone with OCD tendencies such as myself.)
  2. A really crazy month of May.  Ballet recitals, kindergarten graduations, birthday parties, etc.  It was fun but nuts.
  3. And.....summertime laziness.  :)

But, it's time to shake off those summer time "lazies" and prepare for the new school year.

Our Little School Girl is not so little anymore.  She will be starting first grade this year!!  She's reading and everything now...it's so weird.  Time really does fly by.  And this year, we will be adding some pre-K activities in for Little Bit.

I am trying my best to keep it simple this year.  We are going to have so much going on this school year.  Right now, I feel like I'm slowly going up a roller coaster, butterflies accumulating in my tummy from the anticipation of the fast ride I know is coming up soon.  I know homeschool moms school multiple kids all the time but this will be my first year and I'm totally nervous. 

Here is what is currently on my plate for the fall:

  1. Schooling both girls
  2. Teaching two classes at our local co op (physical science and physics)
  3. Taking Little School Girl to theater class once a week
  4. Talking Little Bit to gymnastics once a week
  5. Heading up Little Keeper Club
  6. Working on my yoga teacher certification (and hopefully teaching some classes starting in October)
  7. Tutoring the occasional straggling chemistry student
  8. And....teaching Bible class at our local congregation
WHEW!  This isn't just going to be any rollercoaster.  It's going to be one of these!
 

 
It will be fun though and totally worth it.  Both of my girls are really excited.  :)
 
Just a few words about curriculum.  (In case your interested.)
 
For our Little School Girl (who will be in the first grade), I have decided to go with Moving Beyond the Pages.  Here's what I really like about Moving Beyond the Pages.  It is literature based and it's all planned out for me.  I love the fact that we will read a book and do lessons based upon the story.  Go here to find out more. 
 
For math we will be using Singapore Math of which I have heard good things.  We ordered it here through the Moving Beyond the Pages website. 
 
For Bible we will be using a free curriculum from Apologetics Press.  You can find it here if you are interested. 
 
That's it for Little School girl.  Keeping it simple this year folks.  :)
 
For Little Bit (who will be 4), I am using a free curriculum I found at Preschool Alphabet.  You can find it here if you are interested.  Basically, there are 26 already planned out lessons/ activities to do with your preschooler.  A different letter of the alphabet for each week.  I love it.  It's fun.....it's already planned out....it's FREE!  Can't get much better. 
 
That's it for curriculum talk.  I'm really trying to keep it simple this year.  Last year I planned all sorts of things but when it came to it, our Little School girl was a bit overwhelmed and things got a bit ugly for a while.  No, we are not a "child centered" home.  We do not let children dictate policy around here.  But I do want my girls to love learning and never grow tired of it.  I love, love, LOVE to read, learn new things and explore.  I don't ever want to push my girls so hard that they "hate school." 
 
Before I end this post, I would like to show you the highlights from our crazy life since I haven't updated for a while.  After all, the main purpose of this blog is to keep a journal for my girls to have and look back on when they are older. 
 
Here are the highlights from March until now. 
 
 
 
A trip to Missouri to see family
 

Learning to cook with Keeper Club friends
 



Field trip to the local University lab with the co op big kids....so cool.  
 
 
Little Bit's first hair cut  :) 
 
Spring time fun!

 
Easter
 
Co op Fun (Yes, that's me teaching with a grumpy kid on my hip.  I just love our co op!)
 
 
Homeschool fun

 
 
Learning manners and table setting with Keeper Club friends
 
Field day fun!  Check out how proud they are of those ribbon....lol!
 
Ballet recital
 (Our Little School Girl had to decided between ballet and theater this year.  She chose theater.  So no recital this year.  Kind of sad about that.  Aren't they so cute!)
 


 
 
Kindergarten graduation....Waaaa  :( 

 
Our Little School Girl got her ears pierced.  Mega, MEGA drama. 
 
Frozen birthday party!!!
 



 
 
End of the year Keeper Club party

 
Little School Girl finally decided to cut off her "Rapunzel" hair
 
Family reunion....we got to see our Meme!  :)
 
4th of July celebrations


 
 
Princess theater camp...so much fun!

 
 
 
 
Lake fun
 

Summer reading program at the local library....Summer of Science!  

 
And the highlight of our summer......the birth of a new little cousin! 
 
 
Isn't that the most precious thing you've ever seen!  What a way to end summer.  :)
 
 
 
That is pretty much our crazy life since March.  I hope you stick with us as I try and do a better job at the blog thing.  (Seems like I say that every time)  I have added new categories for recipes, Bible class and other things.  So be looking out for new blog posts.  And I wish all our homeschool, public school and private school friends a wonderful and blessed new school year.  Here we go again! 
 
Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment